Tuesday 30 July 2013

Past follow up

I've been thinking today about a lovely man called Eddie Liddel! Or as I called him Mr Liddel.
He was my first rugby and shot putt coach aged 12.
When it came to sport he was a very hard but fair man. However outside that he was such an awesome guy. He was the first adult to show me real empathy and concern after my mum died.

As a teenager I developed early, growing facial hair by the time I started playing rugby it become an issue with the school. They told me continually I needed to shave. My foster parents refused to buy me shaving kit though. What could I do? Keep taking the grief at school was the answer. Even playing sport they refused to buy sport kit. They would say we don't get money for that if you want to play you'll need to pay for it yourself.

My rugby kit came from friends I could borrow from and at times I played with boots that were to small that have now deformed my feet.

However Eddie Liddel from his own pocket got me a shaving kit and would try his best to get me rugby kit as well!!!

This man was such a positive influence on me thinking about all this does make me cry but the smile I have from knowing here was a man who I meant nothing to but who spent his own money to help me and gave me, for the first time the feeling I was not worthless. He taught me I was no different from the others no matter what I was told elsewhere!!!!

So Eddie Liddel wherever you are bless you and know you will always be in my thoughts!!!! Your an amazing man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment